Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Where's "Waldo"?

The Reds found him jogging around the bases following a game-tying three-run home run in the eighth inning of Monday's 4-3 victory over Houston.

Rich Aurilia's nickname "Waldo" is derived from his versatility, er, daily uncertainty as to which position he's going to play.

Aurilia has played first, second, third, shortstop and even served as the club's DH once during interleague play.

"I almost don't care (where I play)," Aurilia said. "I look at the lineup ... to see if my name's on there. Then I look to the right to see where I'm playing. Then I get mentally ready."

Aurilia's best role for the Reds might be that of postseason veteran. During his career, Aurilia has played in 25 postseason games including 7 in the World Series.

His bat and leadership will be key for the Reds regardless of which glove he carries.

No comments: