Friday, August 25, 2006

Bye, bye Friday nights

Tonight was opening night for my fourth season covering high school football for the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Everything went off without a hitch - well, almost.

The press box at Yager Stadium was sans air conditioning, I got lost twice trying to navigate the Miami University campus and I had returned to my seat in the press box after post-game interviews before realizing I neglected to speak to the winning coach. Good thing I had plenty of time prior to deadline to rectify that oversight.

In my game, No. 6 Lakota West upset No. 4 Moeller 13-12 via a missed extra-point by the Crusaders kicker with 36 seconds left.

As I was leaving the stadium, Colerain was leading Mason 21-0 late in the first half and they were lifting Mason's starting QB into an ambulance. Not good.

First game story of the season in the books:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060826/SPT030101/608260418

Ahh, football is back.

No comments: