Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Like father, not like son

Delmon Young, son of former Red Dmitri Young, was suspended 50 games today for throwing a bat at an umpire during a heated argument over a called-third strike on April 26 at Pawtucket.

Young's suspension, the longest handed down in International League history, also requires him to perform 50 hours of community service.

Young is considered Tampa Bay's top prospect. Some within the organization would like to see him undergo anger-management counseling.

"I'm not really such a bad person," Young said. "I may act up a little bit every once in a while, but I'm not really a bad person."

The only time his father ever acted up was while pulling a clubhouse prank or yucking it up with reporters.

Dmitri Young was a fun-loving gentleman, and one of the most genuinely nice athletes I've encountered during my career.

Early indications are, this apple fell far, far from the tree.

No comments: