Thursday, February 08, 2007

Arroyo: "The fans have embraced me here"

Last spring, Bronson Arroyo was anything but happy to be in a Reds uniform. He was in the process of building a house not far from Fenway Park when his beloved Red Sox traded him to Cincinnati in exchange for Wily Mo Pena and cash. Arroyo's bitterness still lingered when he joined the Reds in spring training.

But, after a stellar 2006 season in Cincinnati, Arroyo began to feel more at home. Today, the 30-year old right-hander signed a deal that will, in principle, keep him in the Queen City for several more years.

"I still have fond memories of Boston," Arroyo said. "But, the fans have embraced me here. Obviously, I wouldn't be signing a deal that keeps me here for another five years if I didn't enjoy myself. Locking up a deal like this is once in a lifetime."

For the Reds, who inked Aaron Harang to a long-term deal on Tuesday, it's more like twice in a week.

No comments: