Saturday, July 01, 2006

It's Dunn already

Prior to Friday night's game, Adam Dunn was speaking to a reporter about the most oft-cited criticisms of his play - bad in the field, walks too much, strikes out too much, doesn't hit when it matters. Now, we can add "not enough walk-off grand slams" to the list.

"I don't go by numbers," said Dunn following Friday night's miracle win. "I go by how I feel and if I'm giving good at-bats. The first couple of months I didn't do that. The past three or four weeks I've been feeling pretty good."

Reds Manager Jerry Narron had this to say:

"I don't understand all of the complaints. I mentioned to him in Cleveland that he had more RBI and home runs than he did at this point a year ago. I don't think he'd heard that from anybody."

If you're looking for Dunn to defend himself, think again. It's not his nature. Last night, he said his walk-0ff slam ranked second to one he hit in Little League. His demeanor is the same whether he's delivering a walk-off win or striking out three times.

What you see is what you get with Dunn. And, on Friday night, what you got from him was the most thrilling victory of the season and a tie for first place.

No comments: