Wednesday, May 11, 2011

David Dewitt Bailey

Homer Bailey and I had a bonding moment last season, following a rookie-like mistake on my part.

I approached the Reds pitcher prior to a late-season contest while working on NLDS preview stories for the Philadelphia Inquirer. I wasn't covering the Reds game that day so I had not glanced at the lineup. Bailey declined the interview, rather politely. I asked again stating that I just needed a moment of his time and Bailey again declined, this time less politely.

I finished up my other interviews, waltzed up to the press box and when I passed by the white board with that day's lineups I realized what I had done -- Bailey was the Reds starting pitcher. I had broken rule Numero Uno -- never talk to that day's starter. It was something I hadn't done in 16 years of covering baseball.

The next day I apologized to Bailey and we both got a good laugh out of it. "You probably thought I was one big SOB," Bailey said. "I was pretty sure you didn't know I was pitching".

The newest version of Bailey is in stark contrast to the one who at times was dubbed arrogant , stubborn, and uncoachable. It was the classic case of a young kid with immense talent who spent his life being told how great he was. A No. 1 draft choice with cash in his pocket and plenty of adulation to go around. This attitude bled into his pitching too. Behind in the count in a tough situation, 'Hmm, I think I'll just blow you away with my fastball. Worked in high school'.

But Bailey's two starts since being reinstated from the disabled list are a clear indication of his maturation. He doesn't have his best fastball, so he's adjusting. He's slowed his mechanics, and calmed his demeanor on the mound. He's a pitcher now, not a thrower.

And he's listening, mostly to Reds pitching coach Bryan Price. The advice is paying off. Bailey's arrogance has evolved into confidence and resolve. And the Reds are the benefactors.

No comments: