Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A decade's worth of clutter

There are two file cabinets in my basement office containing much of what I need but mostly what I don't.

After 10-plus years covering Reds baseball, a reporter can amass quite a collection of "stuff". Of course, one person's clutter is another's treasure.

In need of some space for, you know, more junk, I decided to take advantage of a rainy spring day and clean out my closet, so to speak. But what actually transpired was a trip down memory lane. For me, it became a scenic Sunday drive.

The press release from the Ken Griffey Jr. trade - ah, remember it well. Feb. 10, 2000, a cool, drizzly afternoon throughout which this reporter prayed that the much-rumored deal would wait for another day. With a spiking fever and horrible virus, the last thing I wanted to do was venture down to Cinergy Field into a sweaty jam-packed media room to discuss the deal of the decade. But, that's what I did.

Not to be morbid, but several Reds notables have died while I was on the beat, most notably Marge Schott - I still have the funeral announcement. That was another rainy day, by the way (why do I always recall the weather?) - , Joe Nuxhall, and Glenn Sample.

Scorecards, why do I keep them? I didn't. Tossed a stack of 100 or so. Kept only those that recorded notable events or achievements. Made certain to keep any scorecards and game notes from the first game at Great American Ball Park and last at Cinergy/Riverfront.

Lots of Great American Ball Park stuff, mostly construction docs and opening game items. Kept very little. I recall writing stories for a construction newsletter, everything from the seats to the scoreboard.

Found my media credential from the Cinergy Field implosion. That was an early morning. Hal McCoy and I consumed a great deal of caffiene before the Big bang.

The sheer number of press passes found in my files convinced me of one thing: I spent far too much time away from home. Sorry, honey.

Weird stuff: the police report from Ryan Freel's DUI arrest and some legal documents/police reports from Dernell Stenson's murder.

In the end, it's all just paper. Memories can't be pitched, at least not voluntarily.

No comments: