Sunday, September 28, 2008

Small, but not in stature

Cincinnati Country Day and Summit Country Day are among the smallest schools I'll cover on my high school sports beat for the Cincinnati Enquirer.

CCD has 34 players on varsity, Summit 41. Add them up, and it's still nearly 50 fewer than Division I power St. Xavier.

With tuition costs ranging from $15,000 to $18,000, the kids at CCD and SCDS are the best of the best academically.

But, booksmarts and checkbooks don't mean a thing when these two schools hook up on the gridiron. Annually one of the area's most heated small-school rivalries, CCD/Summit is as good as it gets.

Friday night, CCD clearly was the better team, routing the Silver Knights 21-0.

Although I didn't intend to be, I was included in the post-game celebration when the Indians players decided to dump the celebratory ice bucket over head coach Tim Dunn ... while I was interviewing him.

Thanks for the cold shower. I needed that pick-me-up on deadline.

My Enquirer game story:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20080926/SPT030101/309260098/

No comments: