Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Womack wants shot at 2B

Tony Womack admits he's not good with words. In fact, he was among my least favorite players to interview when he was with the Cardinals.

But, Womack, who was acquired by the Reds from the Yankees last week in exchange for two minor-leaguers, said a lot when he addressed the media for the first time at Great American Ball Park.

"My mindset is to win a job at second base," he said. "Every year I'm out to prove myself. I want to earn it."

He'll compete with Ryan Freel who is a few million dollars richer after avoiding arbitration by signing a two-year deal.

Womack still has a chip on his shoulder after losing his starting job to rookie Robinson Cano mid-season.

After batting a career-high .307 for the 2004 NL Champion Cardinals, Womack saw his average dip to .249 while making only 80 starts for the Yanks.

"I'm going to put a question mark next to last season's numbers on my baseball card," said Womack. "They took the whole season from me."

Very eloquently put, my man.

No comments: