Friday, October 07, 2005

Griffey grateful for award

Ken Griffey Jr. was both gracious and grateful in expressing his thoughts after earning the NL Comeback Player of the Year Award on Thursday.

“I didn’t think about trying to prove to anybody I can still play the game," he said. "It was more just proving to myself that I can compete at a high level and produce and help a team win. I’m not going to waste somebody’s time and be out there just to collect a check. That’s never been me and it never will be me."

Griffey also expressed his gratitude to the fans who cast more than one hundred thousand votes to earn him the honor.

“Anytime somebody takes time out of their day, that means a lot," he said. "It means they care about you and want you to go out there and play. That includes the All-Star Game and things like that. I’d like to thank everyone who voted for me. That’s a great honor in itself.”

No comments: